The SafeLink personal emergency response system offers you protection in your own home. The system keeps you connected 24 hours a day to a support center that will make sure your family or emergency medical services are contacted when you need them. Below are just a few statistics regarding the effectiveness of this product:
- Nearly one-third of people over the age of 65 fall every year, but the risk of falling increases with your age.
- Those who fall are two to three times more likely to fall again.
- Falls are the leading cause of death due to injury among the elderly.
- Falls account for 25% of all hospital admissions and 40% of all nursing home admissions. 40% of those admitted to hospitals or nursing homes do not return to independent living.
- Getting help after an immobilizing fall improves your chance of survival by 80% and also increases your likelihood of returning to your independent lifestyle.
Source: Learn Not to Fall
When you take multiple medications, it can be difficult to manage what times you take them and the dosages you take. Making sure you properly manage your medications is only one important part of protecting your independent lifestyle. Medication mishaps could cost you your at-home way of life.
- Medication errors – both at home or at health care facilities – account for an estimated 7000 deaths annually. Source: B. Braun Medical Inc.
- A medical study investigating medication use among the elderly found frightening trends about at-home medication misuse. Source: Lippincott’s Nursing Center.
- Of the study’s 28 participants, 13 reported missing medication doses a combined total of 45 times over a period of 3 weeks.
- 7 participants reported making a total of 23 dosage errors in a 3-week period.
- 4 participants took a total of 5 medication doses at the wrong time of day.
- Up to 23% of nursing home admissions may be due to inabilities to self-manage medications at home. Source: A Place for Mom.
- 58% of all seniors make some kind of error when managing their medications, and 26% of those seniors may make mistakes that have potentially serious consequences. Source: A Place for Mom.
The MedSafe system, however, will help prevent any medication mishaps you might make at home. It helps eliminate the risk of missing doses or taking incorrect doses, and it will help extend your independent lifestyle.